SLHTA’s Tourism Enhancement Fund Sponsors “The Beautiful Community Competition”
On 22nd April 2015, the Gros Islet Constituency Council launched its Pli Belle Komin Konpetisyon (The Beautiful Community Competition) in commemoration of Earth Day 2015. The competition seeks to encourage communities across Gros Islet to take a greater interest in and responsibility for community spaces, and to improve their aesthetics, utility, productivity and safety. Other positive outcomes will be an identification of community priorities and development of a bank of project concepts for community-driven projects that the Council may be able to support for possible future grant funding. The Pli Belle Komin Konpetisyon is being supported by the St. Lucia Hotel and Tourism Association Inc. , which has generously donated EC$20,000 in prize monies to this initiative. Additional cash or kind prizes are also being sought from the private sector. So far, Ace Hardware and Carasco and Sons have committed to in kind contributions.
Competition submissions will be accepted up to July 24, 2015, and an awards ceremony will be held on Gros Islet Day on August 1, 2015. Communities are encouraged to implement Koud Men projects within this time frame and enter them for judging under any number of the categories listed. Initiatives could conceivably include activities to:
- Clean up schools or communities;
- Green public space and road verges;
- Upgrade underutilized and/or poorly maintained open spaces, through projects that may include landscaping, outdoor furniture, exercise facilities such as jogging/cycling tracks, child play areas;
- Cultivate flowers or other crops on a communal basis, to generate funds to support community
- Stabilize slopes, improve drainage systems and sidewalks;
- Provide receptacles for solid waste, or reduce waste through recycling, composting or reuse;
- Improve community bus shelters, vending spaces and other public facilities;
- Improve the condition of historical buildings and other sites of cultural or historical interest, whether publicly or privately owned;
- Improve area safety;
- Improve area lighting, preferably using renewable technologies.
Interested groups should call the Gros Islet Constituency Council at 450 0731 or email queries to firstname.lastname@example.org Application forms can be obtained from the Council in hard copy or by email, or can be downloaded from the competition Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PliBelleKominKonpetisyon Participating communities are encouraged to post project updates to the Facebook page. Additional information on prize donors and categories can also be found on the Facebook page.